The Faculty of Science has 8 departments including Applied Mathematics, Biology, Chemistry, Computer Science, Earth Sciences, Mathematics, Physics and Astronomy, and Statistical and Actuarial Sciences. The Faculty of Science's mission is to be a cornerstone of society's development through the education of students, the creation and dissemination of knowledge, innovative partnerships with industry, government, and other educational institutions in the global community
The Client Support Specialist is a key member of the Computer Science IT support team, serving as the first point of contact for IT support within the Department, and providing first-level technical support for all supported IT services as required. The Client Support Specialist handles the triaging of incoming service requests and problem reports, resolving issues where possible, and escalating to other members of the IT support team and Information Technology Services (ITS) when needed.
The Client Support Specialist is also responsible for serving as an active participant in process improvement initiatives, and the provision of operational metrics. The incumbent will be responsible for assisting with software development projects, and/or systems implementation projects, that serve to improve IT services, processes, and support within the Faculty of Science.
- 3 year community college diploma in an information technology field (computer programming, computer systems, information management, information technology or business information systems)
- University Degree in Computer Science is preferred
- Relevant IT certifications (LPIC-1 certification, Microsoft Certified Professional, Cisco Certified Network Associate, etc.) are preferred
- 2 years' customer service and/or technical support experience
- 1 year system administration or software development experience
- Experience providing technical support in a higher education or large enterprise environment, supporting major IT services and applications is preferred
- Previous software development (C#) and web development experience is preferred
- Experience with virtualization, containerization, and/or public cloud technologies is preferred
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Knowledge of one or more web development frameworks preferred (e.g. ASP.NET Core)
- Ability to develop full-stack web applications using both server-side frameworks (e.g., ASP.NET, Ruby on Rails) and client-side frameworks (e.g., AngularJS, ReactJS)
- Knowledge of SQL and relational database management systems preferred (e.g. PostgreSQL)
- Knowledge of version control systems (e.g., Git) and associated concepts, such as branching and tagging
- Knowledge of Continuous Integration (CI) practices and technologies (e.g., Jenkins, Bamboo)
- Knowledge of computer system administration, including computer networks, operating systems, and application software
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively in a team environment
- Ability to prioritize team workloads, and collaborate with others on the team to accomplish goals and objectives
- Ability to determine when to escalate incidents and seek additional support
- Ability to seek and share relevant information, opinions, and judgments
- Critical thinking and discernment to assess and scope areas for improvement and an ability to offer creative solutions
- Applies new knowledge and skills to practical use on the job; remains abreast of technological development through learning and experience in practicing new approaches and behaviours
- Strong customer service skills to understand customer needs and expectations, handle inquiries and resolve issues in a professional, courteous, diplomatic, and timely manner
- Strong Linux and Windows command-line and troubleshooting skills
- Ability to write comprehensive procedural documentation, as well as unit and integration tests for all software developed and to ensure high test coverage
- Ability to estimate with reasonable accuracy time required to develop software components
- Demonstrated oral and written communications skills to effectively interact with technical and non-technical users, ranging from internal contacts up to senior management
- Ability to build and maintain lasting relationships with other departments and key business partners
- Demonstrates attention to detail and accuracy
- Proven ability to take initiative and knowledge of approaches to effectively champion a project from conception through implementation and evaluation
Interested applicants are asked to visit: www.workingatwestern.uwo.ca to apply online to job reference #9271 by midnight, May 5th, 2017.
The University invites applications from all qualified individuals. Western is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from women, members of racialized groups/visible minorities, Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation, and persons of any gender identity or gender expression.
Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require accommodations for interviews or other meetings, please contact Human Resources at email@example.com or phone 519-661-2194.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those chosen for an interview will be acknowledged.