Reporting to the Director, Advanced Research Computing, Centre for Advanced Computing (CAC), with a functional accountability (dotted line) to the Associate Director, Technology and Operations, the Project Manager (PM) plays a pivotal role as decision maker and leader of the CAC Project Management Office.
The PM is a self-motivated individual with strong communication skills who continuously strives for results and champions a strong relationship with university stakeholders and external clients, while providing project management expertise to a team of information technology professionals. The PM ensures best practices are applied throughout the systems design lifecycle by actively coordinating and executing project management deliverables, change management initiatives and activities associated with the transition to operations. The PM assumes responsibility for project outcomes, timelines, milestones, and budget and must carefully monitor all aspects of the operational objectives of the assigned projects. The PM collaborates with other PM’s within Queen’s IT services, working closely with the Office of Delivery Management, to ensure they deliver technology and/or business solutions that meet the requirements of the client and align with the University’s strategic vision.
• Coordinates human and financial resources to deliver projects on time, within scope and on budget that deliver the desired results; leads the planning and coordination of projects for the purposes of developing business application solutions that incorporate a well-defined scope, commitment of resources; monitors project budgets and clearly defined milestones.
• Collaborates with IT professionals and key business owners, and determines operational objectives by providing leadership and direction for successful execution of all aspects of the project. Responsible for overseeing the project schedule, timelines and milestones, carefully monitoring all aspects of the operation.
• Leads a diverse group of cross-functional project teams by using effective and efficient methods of communication to provide work direction, and technical and functional guidance to project team members. Manages project schedules and assigns work, oversees its completion and coordinates and monitors workflow of project team members, committees and others.
• Contributes to planning and coordination activities with internal and external stakeholders regarding change management and transition to operations.
• Encourages effective collaboration that mitigates team conflicts and communication problems; regularly acknowledges the team's contributions and regularly schedules project team meetings to ensure project goals are on track.
• Collaborates with others to establish and maintain policies and procedures; creates and maintains project documentation; disseminates information on a timely basis; coordinates project activities.
• Contributes to the strategic direction, resource allocation planning, operational planning and provides leadership to those resources who contribute to the projects. Provides strategic and tactical advice, as well as guidance and coaching to the project resources.
• Performs risk management to minimize project risk.
• Measures project performance using appropriate systems, techniques and tools; collects, compiles and analyzes data on the project performance to gain insight and assess project effectiveness; adjusts the project plans as needed.
• Adapts to change quickly and works with the project team to identify/overcome challenges; maintains momentum to meet milestones.
• Persuades, convinces or gains the commitment from key stakeholders by using effective influencing strategies.
• Ensures that quality assurance is conducted on all key project deliverables.
• Conducts post-implementation reviews to identify key learnings and opportunities for improvement; creates summary report of findings and recommendations to share with key stakeholders.
• Respects diversity and promotes inclusion in the workplace.
• Understands IT industry best practices, standards, and resources to ensure continuous optimization of IT delivery effectiveness.
• University degree with a concentration in business, project management, IT management, computer science or related field combined with several years of experience managing complex projects in a decentralized environment.
• Project Management Professional (PMP) or PRINCE2 certification preferred.
• Experience implementing new IT capabilities (applications, systems or infrastructure) involving diverse technologies.
• Experience in leading diversified teams, combined with facilitation and conflict identification/resolutions skills.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills including experience in writing technical documentation.
• Consideration may be given to an equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Building Relationships: builds constructive working relationships characterized by a high level of acceptance, cooperation, and mutual respect.
• Business Acumen: builds strong business acumen by sustaining a strong customer service perspective.
• Change Management: champions change and fosters the team and environment for change.
• Collaboration and Teamwork: promotes collaboration and commitment within a team to achieve goals and deliverables.
• Communication: displays confidence and articulates a clear message when interacting with diverse audiences utilizing excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Client Orientation: builds and maintains a client-centric culture by working closely with the customer while maintaining a high level of client satisfaction.
• Decision Making & Judgement: relies on experience, thinking several steps ahead in deciding the best course of current/future actions to develop, recommend policy framework based on analysis of emerging trends.
• Integrity: earns others’ trust and respect through consistent honesty and professionalism in all interactions.
• Initiative: acts to address problems; focuses on results and desired outcomes and how best to achieve them and gets the job done.
• Leadership: sets clear, meaningful, challenging, and attainable common goals and expectations that are linked to the mission, vision, values and goals aligned with the organization and strives to achieve them.
• Planning & Organizing: executes proposed actions within predetermined timelines against organizational goals. Develops and integrates current/future plans to achieve the overall organization goals.
• Strategic Perspective: develops and proactively implements long term organizational goals, considering the competitive landscape that will move the organization forward.
• Innovation: develops creative ideas that provide solutions to all types of workplace challenges.
• Driving for Results: demonstrates a desire to meet and exceed one’s own performance objectives. Not accepting the status quo, takes a calculated risk to improve the organization’s performance.
• Developing Others: enables team members to grow and succeed through consistent constructive feedback, and encouragement.
• Self-Development: displays an ongoing commitment to learning and self-improvement to enhance the performance of the team.
• Plans, implements, and evaluates project objectives and determines action plans to meet goals and priorities; makes recommendations regarding the overall functional of the project in conjunction with other Project Managers or Managers in the Solution Development directorate.
• Recommends modifications to the master project schedule to enhance effectiveness towards the business result or strategic intent.
• Makes financial decisions such as approval of project expenditures, and ensures that the project-related procurement activity is in compliance with the Queen's University policies.
• Exercises good judgement in overseeing the development and implementation of solutions and remedies to operational challenges.
• Develops processes and systems that are consistent with organizational goals.
• Determines project priorities and decides on the utilization of staffing resources and the assignment of work to achieve optimum efficiencies and productivity while considering peak periods and project assignments.
• Determines the most appropriate and efficient communication methods to ensure that all relevant team members receive a status update.
• Handles operational incidents so that service levels are maintained at a reasonable level and organizational responsibilities are met.