Reporting to the Manager of Education Technology, the incumbent will work with developers from other schools within the Entrada Consortium (www.entrada.org). As part of this exciting initiative, the incumbent will with work with team members to enhance the Entrada Platform. Travel to consortium member institutions to install and implement Entrada. Troubleshoot problems with hardware and software. Maintain operational systems with appropriate backup, maintenance, and upgrades. Assist users in formatting electronic content, and upload content to web based tools. Assist with training, provide assistance, and prepare detailed documentation for faculty, staff, and students. All of this work will be done within the Entrada Framework as part of the Entrada Consortium (www.entrada.org).
- Design new, maintain existing websites and web applications.
- Install and maintain third party software solutions.
- Troubleshoot problems with hardware and software.
- Maintain operational systems with appropriate backup, maintenance, and upgrades.
- Assist faculty and staff in formatting electronic content and upload content to web based tools.
- Assist with training, provide assistance, and prepare detailed documentation for faculty, staff, and students.
- Ensure that project needs, standards, and best practices are met.
- Undertake other duties as required in support of the unit.
- Three-year post-secondary program with a concentration in computer science or related computer technology and several years of professional PHP software development experience.
- Demonstrated proficiency in the development, implementation, and maintenance of websites and advanced web-based applications.
- Strong web-based user interface design and development skills using modern techniques.
- Understanding of the university environment and course development considered an asset.
- Sound knowledge of major computer systems.
- Consideration will be given to an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- PHP5 framework experience, including OOP concepts and design patterns (i.e. Zend Framework, Symfony, Laravel).
- Specialized knowledge of the MySQL database environment.
- Experience and proficiency in the creation and manipulation of computer graphics, using input devices ranging from scanners to digital cameras, and software like Adobe PhotoShop and Illustrator.
- Git, Subversion, or equivalent software version control system.
- Proficiency with integrated development environments such as Zend Studio and Eclipse.
- Working knowledge of the setup and maintenance of server operating systems such as Linux and Mac OS X Server.
- Completion of the Zend Certified Engineer (ZCE) exam.
- Excellent communications and interpersonal skills to interact with a variety of people with various levels of technological sophistication.
- Client-service approach.
- Ability to work individually or as part of a team.
- Attention to detail and ability to follow formal business practices.
- Analytical and problem solving skills to assist in finding most efficient solutions.
Please click http://www.queensu.ca/humanresources/apps/jps/external.php and apply to position number 2017-091. Please be sure to follow the instructions under the 'Application Procedure' link.
The University invites applications from all qualified individuals. Queen's is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from women, visible minorities, aboriginal people, persons with disabilities, and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity. In accordance with Canadian Immigration requirements, priority will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents.
The University provides support in its recruitment processes to applicants with disabilities, including accommodation that takes into account an applicant's accessibility needs. Candidates requiring accommodation during the recruitment process are asked to contact Human Resources at email@example.com.
To comply with Federal laws, the University is obliged to gather statistical information about how many applicants for each job vacancy are Canadian citizens/ permanent residents of Canada. Applicants need not identify their country of origin or citizenship, however, all applications must include one of the following statements: I am a Canadian citizen/permanent resident of Canada; OR, I am not a Canadian citizen/permanent resident of Canada. Applications that do not include this information will be deemed incomplete.