Navarik was founded in 2000 to solve a real world problem in the shipping industry with a novel and elegant technical solution. Their Software as a Service (SaaS) solution, called Navarik Inspection Platform, focused on automating cargo inspection, enabling better loss control and streamlining maritime inspection operations in order to expedite the analysis and delivery of cargo quantity and quality information. This SaaS technology platform is a robust, growing and profitable standalone business.
In 2010 Navarik recognized that data being gathered from its various product offerings, when aggregated, would be very valuable to businesses that need supply side data to help predict market pricing for oil products and began selling the data in 2015. The resulting Navarik Data Platform is a pool of worldwide seaborne vessel physical operations data and, when transformed, supplies the global oil trading community with high-quality decision-making information.
Position Description and Duties
The key to execution on Navarik's strategic vision for this next phase will be bringing on a Chief Technical Officer who will focus on the development of products which will capitalize on this new strategy. Also, he/she will be responsible for the management of day to day operations for existing products, and ongoing team building. The CTO will initiate research to explore solutions with the client base regarding the proposed product, determine the specifications and performance requirements of a saleable product, thereby validating or adjusting the new product concept. The second step will be to build and articulate a clear product development strategy for CEO approval. This will entail a detailed roadmap which includes the budget and resources required to design and build out the product.
As the most senior technical resource, he/she will be fully responsible for a team of 20+ technical professionals.
In addition to the oversight of day-to-day product development activities, the CTO will be responsible for helping to further develop a culture of high performance, accountability and focus on visible results. She/he will inspire and rally a diverse team of individuals around common goals and objectives. She/he will be energetic, self-motivated, hands-on, and a change leader from both a cultural and process perspective.
- BSc or MSc in Computer Science or related discipline;
- Proven track record in delivering design-first systems, with solid architectural foundation and long term vision;
- Minimum 10 years experience of leading a team developing a commercial software product;
- Advanced level technical skills in the following areas:
- Enterprise level experience
- Real Time event processing-preferably trading
- SaaS, cloud-based solutions
- Domain - Financial or O/G
- Mobile applications
- Machine learning
- Has successfully developed and launched products in both large and small companies in the software, energy or financial industry;
- A strong command of the English language is required.
- Customer-first based approach when assessing new innovation to ensure that the business case for the product drives technical decisions – making for pragmatic, standards-based decisions;
- Highly proactive and persuasive communicator who can effectively articulate objectives and manage expectations;
- High integrity and can earn the respect and trust of staff, leadership and customers;
- Dynamic with a 'can do' attitude and the ability to think and move quickly to resolve issues.
Location: Suite 400 56 E. 2nd Ave, BC Vancouver, BC
Term: Full time, 40 hours/week, permanent
Salary: $175,000 - $190,000
Bonus: 25% of salary
Benefits: Medical and Dental following 3-month probation
Vacation: 20-25 days yearly
*To be considered for this position, please forward you resume and cover letter to hr